Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Great Lakes Pink Salmon



Here is a pink salmon caught in the St. Marys Rapids. Pinks were introduced into the Great Lakes accidentally when their eggs got mixed in with Chinook and Coho that were being shipped out for stocking. They are now totally self-sustaining in several locations with the St. Marys being the focal point.


There is also talk of a Chinook-pink hybrid existing called the "Pinook". I have seen these fish and they look like a giant pink on steroids or a small, humpbacked Chinook, each ones seems a little different. I don't know if their existence has ever been verified or not. To view pinooks check Hawkin's Fly Fishing Outfitters website and go to the Garden River link.

2 comments:

Modfish said...

I just caught a nice pinook on Lake Ontario
Email me and I’ll send u the pic
Modny. Eric @gmail. com

Modfish said...

I just caught a pinook on Lake Ontario searching for kings email me and I’ll send you the picture
Modny. Eric @gmail dot com